Why is the white-bottom deck on my job covered with red streaks across the bottom?
Probably not. It’s like spilling ketchup on your white shirt. How can I prevent this in the future?
1. The BEST way to prevent red stains on white bottom deck is to order galvanized AND painted white deck. The ends and edges of the deck will not rust, nor will scratches in the paint. Yes, it is more expensive than deck with white primer only, but it will quickly become more economical if you’re trying to figure out how to get red stains out of 1,000 SQs of roof deck!
2. If for some reason option 1 is simply not an option, at the very least you should:
a. Spray paint the ends and edges of the deck with a white primer.
b. Follow the SDI guidelines for proper jobsite storage (see below).
c. Install the deck as fast as humanly possible.
Steel Deck Institute Guidelines for proper jobsite storage (re-printed from last month for your convenience):
1. Store the deck off the ground.
2. Elevate one end of the bundle to provide drainage.
3. Cover the bundle with a waterproof covering, but allow ventilation at each end of the bundle to avoid condensation.